Activities

Toxic Shrubs And Plants To Avoid While In The Wild

Poison Oak

From the name itself, you can clearly tell that this type of oak is toxic. It is quite similar to poison ivy as well as poison sumac. Most of the time, these three are hard to identify. The leaves and stems of this shrub can cause a rash even when they are already dry or dead. When you burn them, an oily sap known as “urushiol” will be released into the smoke. If you inhale the smoke, it could cause serious breathing problems.

Mountain Laurel

The Mountain Laurel, which is native to the eastern parts of North America are almost similar to rhododendrons and azaleas as they all have pretty flowers that are white, red, or pink in color. You can find them in the mountains or even in your backyard and any open grounds. Despite its beauty, it has a dark side. All its parts, which include the flowers, twigs, pollen, and leaves are poisonous as they contain high amounts of andromedotoxin. This toxin can cause severe damages to the gastrointestinal tract as well as to the kidneys. Paralysis, convulsions, and coma may also occur, which could eventually lead to death.

English Yew

This shrub is among the favorites of landscape designers because it is gorgeous and it can provide shade. However, its needle-like leaves and bright red berries are toxic and can pose danger to both humans and animals when eaten. All parts of the English Yew are poisonous, so you should avoid it at all costs while in the wild. If you see it growing in your yard, you should get rid of it, especially if you have kids and pets.

3 of 4
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse