Toxic Shrubs And Plants To Avoid While In The Wild

Being a survivalist requires you to have some skills. You should know how to start a fire, build a shelter, find sources of drinking water, and look for food, just to mention a few. Speaking of food, there are countless edible plants in the wild. But at the same time, there are also some that are poisonous and quite dangerous. Therefore, you have to be extra careful.

Below are toxic shrubs and plants that you need to avoid while in the wild:

Stinging Nettle

Stinging nettle is an herbaceous plant that can be found in North America, Northern Africa, Eurasia, South America, and other parts of the world. While it is true that it has herbal properties, this plant also has adverse effects, especially when your skin gets in contact with it. Its stems and leaves are covered with hair-like structures. Chemicals flow through these “needles”, which causes a rash and stinging sensation.

The formic acid and other irritants can also result in a severe allergic reaction, which is characterized by difficulty in breathing, tightness in the chest or throat, wheezing, swelling in the mouth, rashes all over the body, stomach cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Giant Hogweed

The Giant Hogweed was originally introduced as an ornamental garden plant, but later on, was classified as a noxious weed. Aside from it causes soil erosion, it also poses danger to human beings. It is covered with a compound that can cause a skin reaction and could progress to painful blisters and scarring when exposed to the sun. When its sap gets in contact with the eyes, it could result in blindness.

Prev1 of 4
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse